Friday, November 14, 2014

God's Love: Conditions?

I think that we have all heard that God's love is unconditional. And there are lots of good reasons to embrace that thought. After all, when God decided to love the rebellious world in the way that He does (John 3.16) it wasn't because we met some conditions. God loves unconditionally.

And yet, there are these places in the Bible that seem to say something different. Here's one.
If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. John 15.10
If!?! Is Jesus suggesting that we will abide in His love only if we meet the condition of obedience? It seems so. He even says that the same condition applies to His relationship to the Father. And this isn't the only place where the Bible teaches that there are conditions to be met if we are going to enjoy God's love.

So, is God's love unconditional or not? Well, since the Bible describes it in both senses we need to understand it in both senses. How? Try this out:
God's love is unconditional at the outset, but we need to meet certain conditions to continue to enjoy that love.
I don't offer this just as my best shot at mashing the two senses together. I have a verse.
But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. Jude 20-21
Christians are granted the love of God (His covenant love) when they become part of Christ's body, the Church. But we need to meet certain conditions to continue to enjoy that love.

So, does this mean that we need to earn His love? Absolutely not! What could we do that would suffice for a payment? No, rather it comes back to what it always does: faith.

Day after day we have choices to make. One way of looking at most of them is: obey God or not. But if you view it only in that way you'll end up missing something very important. Behind the 'obey or not' is this. 'Will I trust the Father in this situation? He tells me that choosing to respond in this way is much better than choosing to respond in that way. I do trust Him. So, I'll choose to do it in the way He has told me. I'll obey Him.' Behind the obedience that meets the conditions is a faith that trusts the Father. (Fortunately, there is the gracious opportunity to repent when we choose poorly.)

Ultimately, the condition that must be met is faith, trusting God. It is as we trust Him that we will continue to enjoy His love.