Thursday, June 21, 2018

Scripture to Meditate on

​Blessed are those whose way is blameless, 
who walk in the law of the Lord!  Psalms 119.1

Recently, I was challenged to work my way through the very long Psalm 119, a verse at a time, so that I could spend a little time meditating on what each one was saying. For the next brief while I'll be writing a few of my thoughts on what I come up with.

The verse starts out quite pointedly. 'Blessed…' What's a good way to get at what this 'blessed' is about? How's this?

The grocery store that I frequent wants me to take a survey about their store. Every receipt tells me that if I do this, I just might get a gift card for $2000 to spend at the store. I've seen this offer on my receipts for quite some time, but I've never done the survey. And the reason is clear. As far as I am concerned, gaining the mere possibility of being chosen for a gift card isn't worth the time and effort that the survey requires. It just isn't worth it.

Thus, a question. Is gaining God's blessing worth the time and effort? Gaining His blessing will take both. To be blessed, one will need to 'walk in the law of the Lord'. Now, please note what is called for. It's not that a person is to obey here and there and at key junctures of life. No, what is required is a way of life. And this way of life is all about obedience to God's Law. That will not be easy. It will take time and effort. And that explains my question. Is gaining God's blessing worth the effort? I think that you will agree that it all depends on what the blessings are. So, what are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment