Thursday, April 26, 2018

Scripture to Meditate On

Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:30-31

Isaiah reminds us of something that we all too often forget. There are limits to what we can do. We forget this so we push and push and push. As a result, we find ourselves 'faint and weary' and we 'fall exhausted'. How much better to accept these limitations and to live more sanely.

But there are all those things that need to happen! How will we get them done?

This is where Isaiah's word 'wait' comes in. But don't think of it as being passive as you watch life pass you by. This word includes the notion of hope. It's sometimes associated with that word. For example,
And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you. Psalms 39:7
We wait, placing our hope in Yahweh. Remember the Bible's definition of hope: waiting for God to keep a promise.

When I feel the pressure of time and the weight of things to do I have learned to recall to mind this promise.
… casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
I have found that as I, then, deal with what needs to happen, recognizing my limitations and hoping in Him instead of rushing about, my Father always makes sure that what needs to get done does get done. It may not feel exactly like mounting up with wings like eagles, but life works well and that without all the stress and bother that it used to have for me.

We need to see more of this in our rush about culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment