Friday, March 9, 2018

Comment on a Hymn

Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting

The theme of this hymn is obvious from the title. But it might be good to think of its opposite so that you can grasp well what the hymn is about.

So, what's the opposite of resting? How about feeling agitated or anxious, suffering under an ongoing sense of fear or other such things? That means that resting is about being at peace, feeling calm and encouraged, being hopeful. The point of the hymn is that Christians can avoid those opposites and enjoy what resting is all about.

The hymn reminds how we are able to do this. It points to Jesus' 'transforming power', His 'loving heart' and 'wealth of grace'. What is needed to enjoy these blessings is making the 'certainty of promise' ours. And that will become ours as we are 'simply trusting thee, Lord Jesus'.

There are some really good things to experience when we believe the Gospel, the whole Gospel.

Jesus, I am resting, resting
in the joy of what thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
of thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon thee,
as thy beauty fills my soul,
for by thy transforming power,
thou hast made me whole.

Refrain
Jesus, I am resting, resting
in the joy of what thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
of thy loving heart.

O how great thy loving-kindness,
vaster, broader than the sea!
O how marvelous thy goodness
lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in thee, Beloved,
know what wealth of grace is thine,
know thy certainty of promise
and have made it mine.

Refrain

Simply trusting thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold thee as thou art,
and thy love, so pure, so changeless,
satisfies my heart;
satisfies its deepest longings,
meets, supplies its ev'ry need,
compasseth me round with blessings:
thine is love indeed.

Refrain

Ever lift thy face upon me
as I work and wait for thee;
resting 'neath thy smile, Lord Jesus,
earth's dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father's glory,
sunshine of my Father's face,
keep me ever trusting, resting,
fill me with thy grace.

Refrain

No comments:

Post a Comment