Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Hymn Commentary: ‘What Shall I Render to My God’

The hymn starts out with the perfect question. What shall I render to my God for all his kindness shown? A moment’s reflection on that question provides many memories of God’s kindness to us individually and as a group. That’s what happened to the psalmist. The rest of the hymn is his – and our – response to that kindness.


Lyrics
What shall I render to my God
for all his kindness shown?
my feet shall visit thine abode,
my songs address thy throne.

How much is mercy thy delight,
thou ever-blessed God!
How dear thy servants in thy sight!
How precious is their blood!

How happy all thy servants are!
How great thy grace to me!
My life, which thou hast made thy care,
Lord, I devote to thee.

Now I am thine, forever thine,
nor shall my purpose move;
thy hand hath loosed my bonds of pain,
and bound me with thy love.

Here in thy courts I leave my vow,
and thy rich grace record;
witness, ye saints who hear me now,
if I forsake the Lord.

 This is something I wrote for the church I pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment