Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Musing on a Psalm

​Do not sweep my soul away with sinners, 
nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
in whose hands are evil devices, 
and whose right hands are full of bribes.
But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; 
redeem me, and be gracious to me.
My foot stands on level ground; 
in the great assembly I will bless the Lord.
Psalms 26:9-12

We come, now, to the end of this Psalm. And David gathers up what he has prayed and brings it to a head. He knows that there is danger. God will, one day, sweep away all those who stand against what is good and right, those who stand against God. David does not want that to happen to him. But he is hopeful. And he identifies why he doesn't expect this to happen to him. He talks about his integrity. I suspect that none of us would have said such a thing. Instead, we would say something like, 'I believe in Jesus'. But David doesn't talk about believing. Instead, he emphasizes being faithful to his covenant vows to God. He points to his working at obedience, his integrity. Now, can our obedience save us from being swept away because of our sin? No, it cannot. Obedience cannot save. And the reason is obvious. Our obedience isn't close to being good enough. Obedience cannot save. But working at it is still required. And David knows that. He knows that he is called to obedience. That's what's behind his 'I will walk in my integrity'. But he also knows that that isn't good enough. And that's why he asks that God redeem him and be gracious to him. Working at obedience is required of us but only the grace of Jesus saves. David has placed his life in the redeeming and gracious hands of his God. And because of that he ends this psalm being confident about his future. He will not be swept away with the 'assembly of evildoers' (verse 5). Rather, he will, with all the other saints of the 'great assembly', bless his God.