Thursday, August 29, 2013

Three for Prayer

There are three requests that I make of the Father that show up quite regularly, in various forms, in my prayers:

Direct me
Correct me
Protect me

These three make a lot of sense to me. 

Direct me. I know enough to I know that I don't know enough. What is it that the Father wants me to do? How do I live as a disciple in the various situations I face? What is it that the Spirit telling me, right turn at the corner or left? And the beauty of following Jesus is that I don't need to come up with the answers to those kinds of questions. I just need to ask, 'Father, direct me. Tell me what you want me to do.' When I pray like that I know that He will direct. And what a peace that gives.

Correct me. Another thing that I know is that I am wrong too many times to count. But instead of getting down on myself I can depend on the Father to point out my sins. He will correct me by the Spirit. Some of what needs to be corrected is what I think about something, some has to do with habits and some has to do with subtle attitudes that affect how I look at life. There is a lot that needs to be corrected. And my expectation is that, having prayed for that correction, bit by bit, I will be corrected and become more like Jesus.

Protect me. This world is a very dangerous place. And the greatest danger comes from Satan. People might attack your body but he attacks the soul. A destroyed body is bad but a destroyed soul? So, as I have become more aware of him and his crafty schemes I have prayed more for the Father's protection. 'Keep me safe from Satan's plots to get me to turn from You.' I am all too aware that doing something like that is more than just a possibility. My hope is not that I am smart enough. My hope is that the Father will protect me. 

These three seem to be apt requests.