Friday, December 14, 2018

Scripture to Meditate On

​My soul melts away for sorrow; 
Strengthen me according to your word! 
Psalms 119:28

How telling! The psalmist clearly expresses his hardship. Life has gotten hard, and it affects his soul. And he isn't reluctant to let God know about that. If there is anything true of the Psalms, it's that they are honest.

There is another thing that I think worth noting here. And it is something that can be easily missed. Our friend didn't write 'strengthen me by you word' but rather 'according to your word'. This makes a difference. He's not praying that the Spirit apply some truth of the Scriptures to his soul so that he can be helped - though that sort of things does happen. No, rather, in this situation, the psalmist is looking at what God has said in His word, and he wants God to act accordingly. The psalmist is remembering how God pledged Himself to him, how God promised to rescue him from any situation, how God assured him of a good future and all the rest. This is the psalmist saying to God, 'I remember what You told me in the Scriptures. You made some astounding statements. I'm counting on You to come through on all of them'. It seems to me that that's something for us to imitate.