Friday, November 16, 2018

Scripture to Meditate On

Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors. 
Psalms 119:24

The psalmist delights in God's Law. It is something that gives him pleasure, something that gives him joy. And he explains why that is. 'They are my counselors.' We live in a very confusing world. And that's because the evil of sin is everywhere, out there in the world and in us also. And that makes living well so very difficult. More than a few times we find ourselves not really knowing what to do. Our psalmist friend had the answer to that. He worked to know and to understand God's Law so that he would enjoy the wisdom that it holds. Working toward that goal is more than some academic task. It is a Spiritual task. That is, it is something that we need the grace of the Spirit to do. But those who come to understand that and are thus able to grasp what the Scriptures are saying join the psalmist. Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors.