Friday, April 13, 2018

Scripture to Meditate On

I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins. Isaiah 43.25

I've written on this verse before. The last time I focused on what it means for God to blot out our sins. This time I’m going to consider the phrase 'for my own sake'.

What could that mean? Yahweh forgives us to benefit Himself? How does His doing that bring about any benefit for Him to enjoy?

It will help to look at another place where Yahweh says the same sort of thing.
For my name's sake I defer my anger, for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you, that I may not cut you off. Isaiah 48:9
The parallelism here is what helps. 'For my name's sake' is parallel to 'for the sake of my praise'. In this verse, God defers His just anger against His people so that He will be praised. That's the benefit for Him to enjoy here.

Now, back to our original verse. In what way is God praised when He blots out our sin? Answering that question is your homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment