Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Comment on a Hymn

'It Is Well with My Soul'

In this hymn the author spends a little time reflecting on his situation. And as he does that, he is able to give this answer, 'It is well with my soul'.

Life filled with issues that confront. Hymn writer points to sorrows of life and the attacks of Satan. And yet, even in those situations he able to conclude, 'It is well with my soul'. Whatever the situation, good or bad, he still gives the same response. 'It is well with my soul'. How? Each verse explains.

Verse 1: God has taught him to say that.
Verse 2: In the face of Satan's schemes and the trials that come, this fact is sure: his Savior loves him and has proved that at the Cross.
Verse 3: Although he has to confront his persistent sins, the Gospel reminds him that all his sins have been dealt with. Forgiveness is his.

All concluded by verse 4: longing for the day when the battles will be over


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Refrain

My sin - oh, the bliss of this glorious thought -
My sin - not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain

O Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so - it is well with my soul.

Refrain

No comments:

Post a Comment