Friday, November 17, 2017

Scripture to Meditate on This Week

But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ. Philippians 3.7-8

Paul lost much. When many Christians hear that, what they think about first are the regular beatings he faced in every town he visited - or so it seems. But even before all of that, Paul gave up much. Trained by the esteemed Gamaliel, he was an up and comer. Knowledgeable, intelligent. And greatly motivated. His journeying to Damascus with authority from the high priest to imprison the followers of that heretic, Jesus, give ample evidence of that. The future was his. But he gave it all up - counted it all as loss - when he himself became a follower of that heretic.

So, what do you think? Was he okay with how things were working out for him, or was it too much? Was he content with his life, its loss, its suffering? Read the verses from Philippians again.

No comments:

Post a Comment