Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Comment on a Hymn

''What Shall I Render To My God"

This is a part of Psalm 116 rendered by Isaac Watts. The psalmist reflects on God's kindness, mercy and grace. And what follows? The psalmist belongs to God. His response to this glory makes total sense: a vow never to forsake the Lord.

We often stress that, because of Jesus, we will never be forsaken by the Father. And that is a precious truth that makes such a huge difference as we deal with life. 'Never will I desert you nor will I ever forsake you.' A beautiful covenant promise. But here, the psalmist pledges the flip side of that covenant. He pledges his own loyalty. He will never forsake God. That seems like a good promise for us to renew from time to time.


What shall I render to my God
For all His kindness shown?
My feet shall visit Thine abode,
My songs address Thy throne.

How much is mercy Thy delight,
Thou ever blessèd God!
How dear Thy servants in Thy sight!
How precious is their blood!

How happy all Thy servants are!
How great Thy grace to me!
My life, which thou hast made Thy care,
Lord, I devote to Thee.

Now I am Thine, forever Thine,
Nor shall my purpose move;
Thy hand hath loosed my bonds of pain,
And bound me with Thy love.

Here in Thy courts I leave my vow,
And Thy rich grace record;
Witness, ye saints, who hear me now,
If I forsake the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment