Thursday, August 17, 2017

Comment on a Hymn

How Deep the Father's Love for Us 

There is a progression within this hymn. And that is a source of its beauty.

It begins with the Father's love, His love for us in giving what was precious to Him: His Son. And note how each of us is described: a wretch. And even that is too kind a description of someone who is without Jesus.

The next stage (the second stanza) brings us to consider Jesus - and ourselves. It is not enough simply to talk about Jesus' death. We need also to be clear about the reason for that death: our sin. Notwithstanding the ugliness of what we have done, and the just curse of eternal death we deserve, we are blessed with life.

All this leads to the climax of the hymn. You might say this is the point of it all: 'boasting'. What do we brag about? What do we highlight in our lives? What do we live for? If it is something other than Jesus and His death and resurrection, then we really didn't get what those first two stanzas were about.


How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss.
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life.
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything:
No gifts, no pow'r, no wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ:
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart:
His wounds have paid my ransom.

No comments:

Post a Comment