Thursday, July 27, 2017

Comment on a Psalm

Psalm 42

This is a Psalm about a saint who is struggling. He is separated from the presence of His God (the Temple) and confronted by the taunts of his enemies. These things deeply affect him. He is depressed.

So, he talks to himself.
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. [Verse 5]
But here's the telling question. Is he just trying to make himself feel better by clinging to an empty hope? Or does he have reason to believe that he actually will once again praise his God for his rescue? Lying to yourself never works even if you use religious words. The Psalmist's words of comfort work for him (and for us) only if they are an expression of trust in a promise of God. And they were that for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment