Friday, March 31, 2017

Hymn Commentary: O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing

O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing

This is an easy hymn to get excited about because that’s really what it’s about. The author begins by wishing that he had a multitude of tongues so that he might adequately express his praise to Jesus. And he ends by calling for leaping in joy. This is a hymn to sing with all the energy we can.

O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad
The honors of Thy name.

Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
’Tis music in the sinner’s ears,
’Tis life, and health, and peace.

He breaks the power of reigning sin,
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,
His blood availed for me.

He speaks, and, listening to His voice,
New life the dead receive,
The mournful, broken hearts rejoice,
The humble poor believe.

Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb,
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior come,
And leap, ye lame, for joy.

This is something I wrote for the church I pastor 
since we will be singing this hymn this Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment