Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A Prayer for Forgiveness

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! 

The beginning of David's prayer after he had an affair with a man's wife, got her pregnant, had her husband murdered to cover it up and then, for months, acted as if nothing happened.

+    +    +

David, are you kidding me? What audacity! You want God to forgive you for what you did? To forgive you, just like that? Don't you have any sense of how despicable you are? Have you no shame? Can even God forgive such wickedness?

And you think that He will do this just because you ask Him to? What arrogance! Don't you think that He'll expect just a little more than some words? Shouldn't you have to prove that you are worthy of this forgiveness, that you deserve it?

David, where did you get such foolish ideas?