Tuesday, July 27, 2010

No Clue

I have no clue what I’m supposed to be doing. I read blogs and such of others in ministry who talk about their vision for their churches and ministries. I don’t have any such thing. I don’t have a grand plan or a place that I’m aiming for or even a mission statement. I really don’t have any idea what Faith Reformed Church should become in, say, ten years. I suppose I could take a look at what some other churches are saying about themselves, and adjust and apply them. But that wouldn’t be right. Each church is unique. It is unique in its makeup, its location, its history and especially in Jesus’ calling. What Jesus calls one church to be will be different from His calling for another church just down the road. And so, I guess what I want to say is that I don’t really know what Jesus is calling FRC to be.

But the up side of all of this is that I am ‘forced’ to pray. I find myself saying, ‘Lord, You are my only hope. If you don’t lead me…’ And that’s good. It puts things in their proper perspective. So, each Sunday I preach on the next chapter of Isaiah. I do that because I am convinced that Jesus wants me to preach through Isaiah. That became clear last October. The way I figure it, He has things in that book that He wants us to see. So, my job is to be disciplined and preach through the book, praying for insight as I go, confident that He will use that to move us to where we need to be. It’s my expectation that at some point the Spirit will tell us what He wants us to do. He will make His calling clear. It may well be that this revelation will occur after I am no longer the minister of the church. It may well be that my role is preparatory to that day. And that’s fine. What’s important is that the people of God are led by the Spirit. My job is to be a tool in His hand toward that end.

No comments:

Post a Comment