Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Job


I think that it’s fair to say that for way too many folk these days a job is merely a way to get money. I give you my labor, and you give me economic power. And that’s why, for these folk, retirement is so eagerly sought. It’s a time when I don’t have to do this thing that I would rather not do, if only I could afford not to do it.

There is another perspective on a job. It’s something that I like to do. I have certain abilities and training and because of these things I have chosen to do this kind of job. And I really like it. For lots of kids still in school, the goal is to discover that job that they would really like to do. And that’s fine as long as you continue to really like that job. For the next forty or so years.

For the Christian a job is something quite different. A job is something that Jesus calls you to. I do this because Jesus has told me to do it. It pays me money so that I can fulfill other responsibilities, though it may not pay very much. And it may well be that I will enjoy doing this job – or not. There is nothing wrong with being paid and/or really enjoying the job. But these things are secondary. What is key is the sense that Jesus has called me to this job. That’s being faithful. 2 Corinthians 5.15

No comments:

Post a Comment