Friday, February 19, 2010

A Pilgrim's Progress

Oft as I look upon the road
That leads to yonder blest abode,
I feel distressed and fearful:
So many foes the passage throng,
I am so weak and they so strong,
How can my soul be cheerful!

But when I think of Him, whose power
Can save me in a trying hour,
And place on Him reliance,
My soul is then ashamed of fear;
And though ten thousand foes appear,
I’ll bid them all defiance.

The dangerous road I then pursue,
And keep the glorious prize in view,
With joyful hope elated;
Strong in the Lord, in Him alone,
Where He conducts, I follow on,
With ardour unabated.

O Lord, each day renew my strength,
And let me see Thy face at length,
With all Thy people yonder:
With them in heaven Thy love declare,
And sing Thy praise for ever there,
With gratitude and wonder.

from Lectures on the Pilgrim’s Progress
G.B. Cheever

No comments:

Post a Comment